VPS Menu
Staff Portal Groupwise VSD@Home
Home Site Map Contact Us Search
  • About Us
  • Community
  • Student Stuff
  • Parents and Families
  • News
  • Schools
  • Employment
Student Records

Please note that student records (transcripts, graduation verification, etc.) are available from the student records department. To request copies of student records please visit the VPS Student Records Page.

How to Request a Public Record from Vancouver Public Schools

Washington law requires state and local agencies, which includes public schools, to make public records available to the public. This law, the Washington State Public Records Act, which is found at RCW 42.56, supports the public’s right to be informed about what their government is doing.

The law lists certain public records that do not have to be disclosed. These exemptions are intended to prevent unreasonable invasions of personal privacy or the use of public records for personal or commercial gain. If certain information contained in a document is exempt, it will be redacted (blocked out) from the document, but you will still be provided a copy of the document.

The law requires that the public records requested are "identifiable." Your public records request must include enough specific description so the district can locate the record you are requesting. A general question is not a public disclosure request. For example, if you are requesting the district budget, be sure to state for which year you want the budget and if you want the entire document (about 100 pages) or a summary. Please submit the request by completing the district’s Request for Public Record form.

Public Record Form (Word doc.)  Public Record Form (Word doc.)

Deliver/mail/fax/e-mail your request to:
Vancouver Public Schools - Legal Department
2901 Falk Road - PO Box 8937
Vancouver, WA 98668-8937
360-313-1012 - fax

You may also submit your request in a letter. Be sure to include all the information asked for in the Request for Public Record form.

Within five (5) business days after receiving a request, we will do one of three things:

  1. Provide you the records; or
  2. Acknowledge your request and give you a reasonable estimate of how long it will take to respond; or
  3. Deny all or part of the request in writing and stating the reason(s) for the denial. State law requires us to cite the specific exemption from disclosure

We redact any records or portion of records that are exempt from disclosure. We will specify the exemption that applies to any redactions.

There is no charge to view documents at central office (2901 Falk Road in Vancouver). There is a $0.15 per page charge for copying, plus any postage, and we will calculate that and let you know the cost beforehand.   

Vancouver Public Schools • 2901 Falk Rd • Vancouver, WA 98661 • 360-313-1000
©1996-2015 Vancouver Public Schools. All rights reserved.