Skyview High School Career Center

Career-Professional/Technical Training


Job Corps
U.S. citizens or legal residents ages 16-24 whose income meets Job Corps guidelines may apply to enter this federally funded program. While enrolled, young people may earn their GED or high school diploma and train, for free, for any one of a number of in-demand careers. Housing, meals and basic medical care are provided to Job Corps enrollees.To learn more about Job Corps you can attend an orientation about Job Corps any Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. at the Worksource office in Town Plaza, 5411 E. Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver. To speak with a local Job Corps representative, call (360) 906-1613.



You may want to consider specific career training through a community college, a vocational-technical school, or a private vocational school.  The community colleges and the state vocational technical schools offer vocational training at lower cost, while the private schools sometimes offer a quicker completion period to allow you to enter the labor market sooner.  Before enrolling, you should analyze your skills and talents, gather information about present and future job markets, and seriously investigate the school you are thinking about attending.


Vocational education training opportunities in the state of Washington are practically unlimited.  Public education offers nearly 1,250 vocational education programs leading to employment in more than 300 different occupations.  There are also over 250 private schools that offer vocational training in more than 100 occupations.  In addition, community-based organizations provide further opportunities.  See your Career Center for specific information. 


To help you with your search, we have provided some questions to "trigger" you on what to look for.  Your answers should help you recognize a quality school and program.



Q:  What is the school's placement record?

The federal government requires schools to reveal placement rates if the schools are involved in the Federal Student Loan program.  Ask for information specific to the school.  Don't use general regional or national data as an indication of how well a specific school places its students.  Remember, a school cannot guarantee you a job upon graduation; only an employer provides jobs.


Q:  What are the completion rates of their students?

If many students drop out, is it because they find the program not up to their expectations, or are they able to

find jobs even before they complete formal training?


Q:   Do you have to obtain a state license or be bonded before practicing this occupation?

Know what the state licensing and bonding requirements for an occupation are before talking to school officials.  If a certain level of education or training is required, does the school program meet these requirements?


Q:   Is the school itself licensed, registered, and/or accredited?

The schools must meet minimum requirements for facilities, teachers, and programs in order to operate.  (The Washington State Educational Services Registration Act governs the operation of private schools.  Degree granting schools are required to be registered with the Council for Post secondary Education; non degree granting educational institutions must be registered with the Commission for Vocational Education; cosmetology and barbering schools are licensed by the Department of Licensing.)


Q:  Are facilities and equipment up-to-date?

Ask to sit in on a class or take a tour of the schools.  Schools with good facilities will be happy to demonstrate their equipment.