Hudson's Bay High School Career Center

Clark College Professional and Tech Programs
Connect 2 Trades Academy
Connect 2 Trades Academy is paid training that integrates Clark College’s 8-week pre-apprenticeship training program, professional development and financial literacy workshops, industry certifications, and a 10-week work experience with a professional construction trade or other skilled trade company such as auto-mechanics, painting, HVAC, etc. Participants are paid for classroom and worksite hours up to 40 hours per week. The combined hands-on experience and training offer an entry point for obtaining work in the trades, entering an apprenticeship program or enrolling in career and technical education (CTE).
Washington State Board for Technical and Community Colleges
Get information about technical colleges in Washington State.
Each year, AmeriCorps offers 75,000 opportunities for adults of all ages and backgrounds to serve through a network of partnerships with local and national nonprofit groups. Whether your service makes a community safer, gives a child a second chance, or helps protect the environment, you’ll be getting things done through AmeriCorps!
40 good-paying jobs that do not require a 4-year college degree
Read about rewarding jobs that require skill training and/or education different than a bachelor's degree, according to the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Click here for a list of privately owned, for-profit colleges in the U.S.
New Vancouver technical school trains workers for freight railroad careers
Northwest Railroad Institute • Program began: July 15, 2013. • Program length: Six months. • Tuition: $14,000. • Where: 2901 E. Mill Plain Blvd. • Information: 360-695-2500 or 800-868-1816. • On the Web: Northwest Railroad Institute
Vancouver Business Journal / Paid Internship Opportunity
As young people work toward finishing their high school education and begin thinking about their future, many realize they lack the skills and training employers’ desire. Without skills and training, youth remain stuck in low paying jobs with very little hope for advancement. PIC operated by ESD 112 There is a paid 90-hour internship at Fort Vancouver Barracks that is now available for students. Not only would the student get paid but they would gain a .5 credit which would replace any elective or occupational credit they might still need. The internship opening is at the Vancouver Business Journal (located in the Barracks at Fort Vancouver) which is only a few blocks from Bay. It’s a great location for a Hudson’s Bay student who is interested in Journalism. The student must be at least 16 years of age and qualify for the free and reduced lunch program. The internship will start soon so if they are interested, please have them come see me in office 318 and pick up an application form or come to the Career Center.
Vocational Information Center
Explore vocational and technical careers, check out the skills employers really want, find a trade school, research technical topics and take a look at the current job market.
As college and university grads seek work, trade jobs go unfilled
"...millions of good-paying jobs are ging unfilled" in the trades in the U.S., according to an April 1, 2014 article in The Columbian newspaper.
BestTrade careers 2020
Kaiser Youth Exploration Academy inHealthcare
A PAID, four week-long, interactive exploration program for high school students. The program focuses on providing high school students with exposure to Kaiser Permanent's integrated healthcare pathways.

Professional/Technical Training


Job Corps
U.S. citizens or legal residents ages 16-24 whose income meets Job Corps guidelines may apply to enter this federally funded program. While enrolled, young people may earn their GED or high school diploma and train, for free, for any one of a number of in-demand careers. Housing, meals and basic medical care are provided to Job Corps enrollees.To learn more about Job Corps you can attend an orientation about Job Corps any Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. at the Worksource office in Town Plaza, 5411 E. Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver. To speak with a local Job Corps representative, call (360) 906-1613.



You may want to consider specific career training through a community college, a vocational-technical school, or a private vocational school.  The community colleges and the state vocational technical schools offer vocational training at lower cost, while the private schools sometimes offer a quicker completion period to allow you to enter the labor market sooner.  Before enrolling, you should analyze your skills and talents, gather information about present and future job markets, and seriously investigate the school you are thinking about attending.


Vocational education training opportunities in the state of Washington are practically unlimited.  Public education offers nearly 1,250 vocational education programs leading to employment in more than 300 different occupations.  There are also over 250 private schools that offer vocational training in more than 100 occupations.  In addition, community-based organizations provide further opportunities.  See your Career Center for specific information. 


To help you with your search, we have provided some questions to "trigger" you on what to look for.  Your answers should help you recognize a quality school and program.



Q:  What is the school's placement record?

The federal government requires schools to reveal placement rates if the schools are involved in the Federal Student Loan program.  Ask for information specific to the school.  Don't use general regional or national data as an indication of how well a specific school places its students.  Remember, a school cannot guarantee you a job upon graduation; only an employer provides jobs.


Q:  What are the completion rates of their students?

If many students drop out, is it because they find the program not up to their expectations, or are they able to

find jobs even before they complete formal training?


Q:   Do you have to obtain a state license or be bonded before practicing this occupation?

Know what the state licensing and bonding requirements for an occupation are before talking to school officials.  If a certain level of education or training is required, does the school program meet these requirements?


Q:   Is the school itself licensed, registered, and/or accredited?

The schools must meet minimum requirements for facilities, teachers, and programs in order to operate.  (The Washington State Educational Services Registration Act governs the operation of private schools.  Degree granting schools are required to be registered with the Council for Post secondary Education; non degree granting educational institutions must be registered with the Commission for Vocational Education; cosmetology and barbering schools are licensed by the Department of Licensing.)


Q:  Are facilities and equipment up-to-date?

Ask to sit in on a class or take a tour of the schools.  Schools with good facilities will be happy to demonstrate their equipment.